Monday, August 15, 2005

Omaha Sprawl and Shoulderless Roads...

I had some extra time after work yesterday, so I headed out for a mini gravel loop. My usual gravel route starts at 180th and Giles. Today, I rode west on Giles, to 192nd. The last few times I've ridden this route, 192nd has been closed to the north from Giles. Well, its paved and open now. And guess what...there's no shoulder! Yet another of what will certainly be a busy road without a shoulder. Are there not enough funds in the roads budget to add a small shoulder to these roads? Its yet another example of how urban sprawl encourages people to drive their cars. Is Omaha THAT bicycle-unfriendly? I'm beginning to think so. Or is this typical of urban sprawl throughout the United States? I'd like to ride across or out of town without being forced to find my way through neighborhoods. And there ain't no way I'm riding on shoulderless roads in this city! I wonder if letters from cyclists mean anything to city planners and the department of roads. Think so?

1 Back Atchas:

Blogger [mk] said...

I'm not talking about low volume roads here! I'm talking about roads with heavy traffic. ie: West Q St, where the white line is literally painted at the edge of the pavement. I realize every road isn't going to have a shoulder....

1:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home